Thank you for your interest in volunteering with JOYA Scholars. If you like to apply to become a volunteer or learn more, please contact our Volunteer Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our current high school and junior high students in Fullerton’s Maple and Garnet neighborhoods are in need of passionate and supportive mentors and tutors. Consider becoming a member of our JOYA Scholars team of volunteers, and see how transformational your contribution can be in the lives of our students.
Become a Mentor
Mentors can expect to…
- Meet with their student and other mentor/student pairs for one hour every other week. Our mentoring meetings are scheduled throughout the academic year (September to May) on Tuesday evenings (Maple neighborhood) or Wednesday evenings (Garnet neighborhood) at 6:30pm.
- Participate in various JOYA gatherings such as college campus visits and cultural outings.
- Provide guidance and accountability for their student in order to fulfill the student’s academic goals.
- Strive to inspire and prepare their student for college success.
- Be strongly invested in building a relationship with their student by listening and providing constructive feedback.
Become a Tutor
Tutors can expect to…
- Provide academic support for one hour or more per week by helping students excel in challenging and rigorous coursework. Tutoring sessions can be scheduled on Monday through Thursday between 3:30-6:30pm, according to the tutor’s availability.
- Possess a good understanding of subject matter while working with students.
- Demonstrate a sensitive and caring attitude toward their students.
Please note: All volunteers must complete a mandatory Live Scan background check prior to volunteering.